Saturday, March 27, 2010

thirst for the Word

Your testimonies are wonderful;
therefore my soul keeps them.
The unfolding of your words gives light;
it imparts understanding to the simple.
I open my mouth and pant,
because I long for your commandments.
Turn to me and be gracious to me,
as is your way with those who love your name.
Keep steady my steps according to your promise,
and let no iniquity get dominion over me.
Redeem me from man's oppression,
that I may keep your precepts.
Make your face shine upon your servant,
and teach me your statues.
My eyes shed streams of tears,
because people do not keep your law.
-Psalm 119:129-136


Yesterday night I hung out with the crazy Jamie and joined her at Bible study! I was so blessed by the message given by Mark, about how this Psalmist really just has such a deep love and longing for God's Word. Every mature Christian knows their Bible, and they are well acquainted with what God says. It is through the Bible, that the character of God is revealed.

I'm not going to lie, but sometimes in the past (and even currently) I've been discouraged because I don't know the original Hebrew or Greek translations. I also don't understand a lot of cultural references. I'm not the best at being a student of the Bible, and I struggle a lot. But praise Him, He is teaching me day by day, and I learn a little bit more in His timing...I need to be responsible with what the Lord has given me, so I can become more mature in Him. And besides being frustrated with not knowing enough of the Bible, I am also wondering what I am doing with my life, when there are so many oppressed, poor people out there (and people suffering from natural disasters)! I don't have the practical means (like money) to help them, but I can always reach out to them in fervent prayer, for people to go out and help more! So really, I've been struggling with feelings of confusion, discouragement, and guilt. But that is not of the Lord, I know that much. I don't want to be paralyzed and be ineffective for God's work, but I just need to see this for what it is-my shortcomings, and how God's power will be made perfect in my weakness.

I know a few verses by heart, which are easy to give people who are in need of encouragement. But it's also really cool, because I'm going through this 90 day Devotional about being a Proverbs 31 Woman, so I'm memorizing Proverbs 31 and going through daily exercises! It's really great to be encouraged by reading about godly women, and trying to be one through God's grace. AGH I fall SO short lol but I can't waste time looking at myself when my eyes should be set on heaven. This is what I've learned from the devo so far (memorization):

A wife of noble character, who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her,
and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm
all the days of her life.
She selects wool and flax,
and works with eager hands.
-Proverbs 31:10-13


I feel like I'm getting older, especially with friends all around me getting married and having babies! I CANNOT BELIEVE I'M AN ADULT! AHHHHHH!!! Time passes by so fast. I've got be more alert and watchful.

1 comment: