Monday, June 21, 2010

first time for everything

Yesterday was Father's Day! How cute na cute! I invited my Dad to have lunch with my mommy, Joshua, Billy and me at Cheesecake Factory so we could all celebrate. I went to my mom's church nearby home FFC (First Family Christian) instead of SBCAC (South Bay Christian Alliance) so I could make it to lunch on time, and what a surprise i had at church...MY DAD JOINED US! It was the first time he had ever gone to a Christian service, and even when my parents were married I don't remember him being there with us during Catholic Mass. He said it wasn't "that bad" and liked it more than Mass, which was surprising. He even made a few jokes about the sermon, since he doesn't believe in Jesus, but it was nice to know he was listening to certain parts though he purposefully sat down with his eyes closed during the entire message. I said "Dad so this means you're coming back next Sunday right?" and he laughed and said "Yeah, you mean NEXT Father's Day!" It's still a miracle in and of itself that he doesn't mind coming back!

During lunch my mom gave him his present and they laughed and exchanged jokes and I sat next to my brothers. It is so weird how nice and friendly it is when we eat together as a family. It really feels like this backward progression where...you know, people are supposed to have pleasant family memories of growing up with married parents, but the pleasant memories are in the making as we speak. They are still divorced, and my little brother Josh has a different dad, but it feels sweet when we are all together. Even better than anything I'd experienced in the past. And I praise God for that, because it seriously is ALL of His work! I really can't explain it in words but I really want my family to be saved, not only for their sakes, but for the glory of God's name! My gosh, so much change is already occurring. My mom and I used to fight all the time and now I consider her one of my best friends, and though my dad hurts my feelings a lot because he usually calls me fat or ugly or not smart, he is a lot better in terms of answering my phone calls and hanging out with me. I know he loves me, he just has a really..strange way of showing it. I have to continually remind myself that he does not know Jesus, and that I have to shine that light to him. Earlier this year I decided to send weekly text messages from SB to both my mom and dad, like "Hey mom, hey dad, I miss you guys. God bless." or "Hey Dad, love you and Jesus loves you too." I really believe that it softened my dad's heart, even though he doesn't believe. Our relationship has changed drastically, for the better, and it's still not perfect but that's ok. I'm going to keep hoping and trusting that God will take care of my family.

Although I don't do it as much as I should, when I do, I cry out for God to have mercy on my family...

"And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened."-Luke 11:9-10

"And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us."-1 John 5:14

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."-Romans 8:28


I don't know what stops me from asking more from my Father in heaven but I know that He loves me and listens to me so I am going to stop being shy and just continue to ask for grace and blessing upon my family! It's also amazing to know that everything works together for the good of those who love him. I want all of them to know Jesus Christ personally and intimately. My dad's life would be changed so much...I can't even imagine. And I can't thank God enough for Joshua learning more and more from the Bible study every Friday night. I absolutely love being back at home! I get to be with my family and witness all these great things. And because I'm not stressing over finals, I get more time to read and just rest. I get antsy and bounce up and down thinking about the changes and God's hand working, and I just need to thank Him and praise Him so much! Oh God is so good...


"See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are." -1 John 3:1

I am God's child, and every day is a Happy Father's Day for Him! Praise Him!

1 comment:

  1. Encouraging stuff, sis! I have been praying for my family for over 7 years, and I have been continuously reminded through many things that have happened that God is working and moving through this whole process for the hearts of my parents. I committed with my younger brother (who's also a believer) to live lives that would not be stumbling blocks to our parents and younger sister. Slowly but surely, my family is asking and showing more and more interest. May God bless you in your prayers and your continued witnessing to your family.

    Sincerely,
    Helicon.

    ReplyDelete